Cradle and traditional home of the Bono people
Visiting the Tanoboase Sacred Grove and Shrine is a unique experience that is both spiritual and educational. The site is located near the village of Tanoboase in the Techiman, Brong Ahafo region of Ghana, and is believed to be the cradle and traditional home of the Bono people.
The Tanoboase Sacred Grove and Shrine is one of many sacred groves in Ghana. Inside the rock shrine you will find the original brass pan as well as five compartments including the main entrance, durbar ground, hideout, watchtower and stairs. The grove was a hideout during the slave trade and inter-tribal wars.
Upon arrival at the site, visitors are welcomed by an inscription on a small metallic signpost at the entrance of the trail that leads to the sacred caves, reading "Welcome to Tano Sacred Grove, explore Bono culture" . The trail leading to the site is surrounded by lush greenery and indigenous trees, which sets the mood for a spiritual experience.
Other attractions nearby
In addition to visiting the Tanoboase Sacred Grove and Shrine, there are several other places in the vicinity worth exploring. Here are five recommendations:
- Boabeng-Fiema Monkey Sanctuary : This sanctuary is located about an hour away from the Tanoboase Sacred Grove and Shrine, and is home to several species of monkeys including the black and white colobus and the Campbell's Mona monkey. Visitors can take a guided tour of the sanctuary and watch the monkeys in their natural habitat.
- Kintampo Waterfalls : This stunning waterfall is located about 45 minutes away from Tanoboase and is a must-visit attraction in the region. The waterfall drops from a height of about 70 meters and offers a beautiful view of the surrounding landscape.
- Nsuta-Winneba Shrine: This shrine is located about an hour and a half away from Tanoboase and is believed to be the traditional home of the Asante people. The shrine is famous for its underground tunnels and gold artifacts.
- Bui National Park: This national park is located about 2 hours away from Tanoboase and offers visitors the opportunity to see a wide range of wildlife including elephants, antelopes, baboons, and crocodiles.
- Techiman Market: Located just a few kilometers away from Tanoboase, the Techiman Market is the largest market in the Brong Ahafo Region. The market offers a unique shopping experience where visitors can buy everything from fresh produce to traditional crafts.